Thursday, October 15, 2009

Mugged

VPR's fall fund raising drive is on and I've heard my name twice, which surprised me, but shouldn't. Ty Robertson contacted me in September about converting my vertical painting, "Home," to a horizontal to be used as the Fall Artist mug for the Member drive.

Ty found my work through the Vermont Crafts Council website. An image on the VCC site led to my site (JayneShoupStudio.com) led to "Home,"
which morphed into "Warm Hearts Warm Homes."

I had fun designing the mug panel, playing around with small sketches that were taped to mugs, trying to determine the most effective placement for the image. I had to consider right- and left-handed mug owners. All would want an inviting view with coffee, tea, chai enroute to the lips each morning. Here is my value drawing, which started out very small, 2.875" X 7.875" to fit on the mug. After four versions, the house had moved right, and the image was equally visible from either side.



Once I settled on the design, the painting was easy. I used the colors of "Home" in "Warm Hearts." I did not want a complex, difficult to reproduce color scheme for the mug. However, my use of triadic, non-primary colors (three colors spaced equally apart on the color wheel) provided some challenges in reproduction anyway.

With cold temperatures arriving, I've begun to move wood inside our garage storage bin. When I was younger, wood stacking was a chore, but now it's more like meditation. I've thought of those who will struggle to pay heating bills this winter. I am so very fortunate to live in an old, but well insulated home, and to have paid for our wood supply.

Many thanks to Chittenden Bank which is donating funds to the Share Heat program during VPR's member drive this fall. A good corporate partner. All who can, must help those struggling to stay warm. May we all be warmed by generosity-- on the giving and receiving end.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jayne --
    Yes indeed. I heard your name (mangled I might say) on VPR this morning, but it still gave me a thrill! And what a mug it must be! Major congratulations, my friend!

    ReplyDelete